Thursday, September 22, 2011

I feel like killing him

"I feel like killing him" the man said to his wife as he talked with her about the frustration he was feeling. He worked in the family business and his father had yet again overrode the instructions he had given to some of the employees in that business. His wife was shocked to discover her husband was feeling so violent and became fearful that her husband may harm his dad. Doing the best she knew how at the time, she told him to control his anger. Over the years the man and his wife's marriage continued to deteriorate.
The man could benefit from counselling by having a safe place to be supported while he expresses his emotions. He knows that he can scream. He knows that he can say anything he feels like saying. As a counsellor I am totally willing for my client to yell, scream, just be silent or to cry. I am committed to having unconditional positive regard for the client, and to not judge him. With empathy, I can be fully present. I may reflect what I observe. Facial expression or what I heard him say. He can feel heard and listened to. He can feel safe. He can when he is ready, explore that anger that he feels. Or he can speak about how he feels alone in his wife's company even though he knows that she loves him and cares for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment