Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The difference between Counselling and Coaching

I consider counselling and coaching to be very different from each other as I do person centered counselling.
In coaching, often I hear a client say something in a way that disemopwers him/her and I recommend more empowering language to express that thought. I provide processes, information and systems for you to be empowered. I also guide you in creating goals, action plans etc and assist you in being accountable for taking the action steps that you commit to taking.
In counselling, I am committed to simply providing the safe space for you to explore your own thoughts and feelings and I actively listen rather than providing direction. I admit that I am often tempted to coach during a counselling session however I usually don't do so because it would make the counselling less effective.
I am often thanked for the advice I have given in a counselling session even though I have not actually given any advice. The client has simply advised himself/herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment